19 March 2013

That Friend


We all know a friend who has one, the best friend that no one likes for whatever reason. He is typically seen as ugly, stuck up, dumb, a know it all and just plain unattractive. But for whatever the reason, your one friend refuses to cut him loose despite the fact that all his other friends hate this friend.

Ugly people – are always ugly on the inside. Unattractive people when given a chance are revered and loved for the beauty that lies within because their inside is quickly seen. Yet the ugly no matter how “Attractive” they may initially appear are soon seen as an Ugly person and labeled as unattractive.

For example I had this friend this past summer, I met him online, he had just moved to Philadelphia and he and his boyfriend were looking to make new friends. I being the one to never turn down a chance to make a good friend decided to give them a chance, the Asian and Chicagoan.  This Chicagoan was the one in search of friends and I soon noticed he was putting on airs. He was trying to portray his relationship to be something it was not. The Asian was here to obtain a PhD and I having just been in a relationship with Doctor MeTo, knew the struggles it was to be with someone getting that level of education.

I tried my best to be friends with the Chicagoan but his asshole nature showed thorough to all my friends and he was shunned. No on in my group liked him, but we all loved his boyfriend the Asian. Soon I was spending more time with the Asian simply because the other guy most nights acted like an ass leaving his boyfriend to fend for himself as far as becoming acclimated to the city. 

Many nights while on the trolley to the city, I was shown text messages and told of horrid conversations that went down between the two of them. Then the night came when the Chicagoan hit the Asian and I was done. This man was ugly in my book and in a matter of month’s I noticed he could never keep a friend longer than a few weeks. When he cheated he could only get the scraps of the city that the rest of us looked at like, “Why?”

The Chicagoan was a physically attractive person; we all easily gave him a chance because it was easy to see how someone could be attracted to him. Sure it sounds shallow but let’s be honest that is how the world just works. It was watching him interact with his boyfriend that turned us all off and the only reason I tried was because I genuinely like the Asian as a friend. Recently I was informed My Asian friend had enough and called it quits.

My Best friend has a best friend that no one likes. Doctor MeTo and all the other gays of mine that have met this guy have made a point to point out that he leaves a nasty after taste. I should have been clued in when he went after a guy I was interested in, but I ignored it. Mark, as he shall be referred to, was funny but his humor was always in putting someone down behind their backs. The day came when without a word he just stopped talking to me. I just thought he started thinking he was better than everyone because he was now going to school in NYC but he ignored me when I said hello and after a while I just wrote him off and so did others.

So now when he comes to visit there is only one person who wants to see him and so only one person will hang out with him, my best friend. You can imagine why this is seen as problematic. So I have learned to just not hang with my friend when “That Friend” is in town. 

No comments:

Post a Comment