17 December 2011

A Friendly Evolution

The cool thing about many gays is that we always want to belong to a group. Not so much an exclusive group just a group that we can say we belong to. A group full of people that get along and enjoy many of the same things. I guess you can all it a Clique minus that petty high school bull shit.

The coolest thing in my life I would have to say is my group of friends. Many of which I have written about in the past. The thing about groups of friends is that they evolve and sometimes change. As you grow you will notice this to be a sometimes sad truth.

They say if you can count more than one good friend you are truly blessed and I must admit that I am highly blessed. I still have my friends Jaiye, Phil, and RJ but for the past six months there have been some new major players in my life. There are two people that keep my grounded and encourage personal growth and development in ways that I thought only Jaiye would ever do.

I met Icon and Ivan while working at Starbucks. They were a dynamic duo and invited me to hang out one night and the rest was history. Ivan and I would argue and disagree to such a degree one would think fist would be thrown but instead we would look at each other and decide to just drop it and move onto laughing. Icon was impressed and loved the fact that he had two totally different friends who enjoyed each other's differences.

Icon is the sweetheart, one of the sweetest people anyone could ever meet. He keeps the peace without trying and has a style that is so unique that people cant help but to notice him and tell him how great he looks. To be honest he is 6'5 and if you got something negative to say you most likely will just keep it to yourself. I like to call Icon Mama. He carries a hug bag with all the stuff he needs and has the demeanor of someone's grandmother, loving yet stern.

Ivan is from the Lehigh Valley and is extremely different from Icon and I. If you had to pick a category for each of our style Icon would be 90's R&B, Ivan very new millennium Frat boy, and I would be 80's rock. Ivan has very strict rules for himself and does a great job of balancing that with not being to judgmental of others.

While Icon is hopeful of finding love, Ivan doesn't want to even think about falling until he is at least 30 and I am simply looking for a good time while I waiting for the right guy to come along in the right circumstance.

Then of course there is Jaiye who is settled down with his boyfriend in south Philly. Phil continues to work his ass off at school and work and remains unseen. RJ is still RJ and going to school for cosmetology.

The others are now just after thoughts and have become not so important. But having five friends who I consider best friends is more than amazing and I have made so many memories some of which you will read in the near future.   

No comments:

Post a Comment