03 June 2008

Fairytales

Lately this has been a constant theme in my life, from talking to my little cosine, Sex and the City movie, to my friends Blogs and life events. Ever since I came out the closet, I have been waiting for that fairytale moment in my life. You know the one where you can say with confidence I know my life won’t be perfect but I will live happily ever after with so and so.

I have been waiting for that guy who helps me see the world differently like Aladdin. Or prince Philip who rescues me from all the bad in the world and dance with me as we did in our dreams, and the beast who rescues me from falling for the wrong man while I rescue him from his vices.

Sometimes I feel like Cinderella always doing for everyone else and never myself. I was left so much by my late father but my evil grandfather took it all for himself. I am stuck with having to pretend as if all is well and do as my family ask of me. I finally feel like Ariel, the place where I live is beautiful, but I just don’t fit, my prince is in another place and I am ready to do anything to be with him.

How gay is that for you. For about a year, I felt that maybe I was Carrie and I was trapped to go in and out of love until my Mr. Big realized he wanted to be with me, and I realized that we were made for each other. Let’s just say that is one fairytale I don’t want to be in.

Recently I met a prince charming. He is romantic, the type of guy who would send you flowers to work, take a stroll along the beach at sun set or surprise you with a weekend away at some quite bed and breakfast. That works for me, as I am the type who will cook, clean and do small everyday things to make a guy like that feel he is appreciated.

However, I can’t help but find myself feeling the same way I did last year around the fourth of July. My emotions are unpredictable. He is making it easy to fall in love although I am not in love I am on the verge. I have a date with another guy tomorrow. As it stands now and as I have already made up in my mind, there will be no sex. I feel as though I must go to see if I am ready for love again or if I am meant to play the field a little while longer.

I had this dream awhile back that this guy whom I knew for quite awhile and thought was straight proposed to me. My mother who disapproves of homosexuality actually approved of the guy asking me to marry him as well as all my friends. Needles to say it was a modern fairytale, the perfect ring, and the perfect time and place. But I can’t imagine that coming to pass.

I said what I wanted and now I think I found it. Does it work that easy? It did for my mother she got what she described. He is now in her life and I smile every time I see them they are so happy despite all the things that are slowing down progression, the divorce and recuperating from breast cancer.

I, who always thought of myself as independent, now find myself in debt with absolutely no money, and no job. I owe back rent and car payments. I want my independence back. Although I am gay and want a fairytale, I still look at myself as a guy who needs a decent job and needs to depend upon myself instead of others.

Maybe there is a lesson in all of this for me and maybe this is part of the fairytale. Do I get rescued from all the bad in my life to realize being a househusband is enough to make me happy and work from there, or is it that at my lowest point I find away to pull myself up and then get it all?

I don’t know how this story turns out which is why they call it life. But is it too much to ask that I get a happy love ending? I know I want it all fancy clothes a husband who loves me a house I can entertain guest in and some day kids. After all Cinderella and Ariel got the Happily Ever After, Or do I need to talk to my godmother?

No comments:

Post a Comment