11 December 2008

Friends?

Back in my high school and early college, days I wrote about how friends should only be temporary due to how I was pissed at all my friends in high school abandoning me. Sure, I left the school but I tried to keep in contact until they all with the exception of one just stopped answering their phone and would not respond to emails and changed their AIM screen names.

It was not that I was in denial about my sexuality; I was just raised in a family where we were taught that homosexuality was wrong so I felt that god would change me when he was ready. Needles to say prayers and fast later I embraced who I was and gained the courage to try and find the friends of mine who knew what I knew way back when.

To my surprise, no one still would get in touch with me. My group of friend that was known as Surf and turf had disbanded and their leader I was completely cut off. Neal Curly hurt the most as I had found out that it was thanks to me that he stayed at SJP. Christian Myers and I fell out big time as he decided to come out of the closet and tell everyone I was gay when I had not told anyone and while I had been dating women. Boima Blake was the only one who kept in touch but he had a way to piss me off like no one else so we went back and forth we would talk then months would go by without speaking. Francis Quatrone stayed in touch, but barley it was I who did all the work and after going to the Franz Ferdinand concert, I never saw or heard from him again.

I had an apartment and none of them responded to my house warming invites, and over time, I accepted the fact that I should just let go. That was until I entered the scene and bumped into Christian Myers several times and while dancing on a speaker box at Woody's he showed an interest. I eventually told him I had a crush back in high school and he told me he did too but that was as far as that went. Then I gained touch with someone I didn’t get along with so much in high school. Jimmie Dupree.
Jimmie Dupree and I both sensed the other was gay but never ousted the other, we tried being friends and it didn’t work it was like a seesaw until we just didn’t see each other anymore. That is until the gay scene called him too. And to my surprise, he was in it before I was and I was a year older and 21.

So Boima was sporadically in my life and Christian and Jimmie were in my gay life. But my best friend all through high school was not. So today, I hunted him down and from what I have found, he is still going to school in Chicago and may be living there. According to Christian, he is dating some guy as well.

I got an email address for him and sent him an email. I hope he responds it would be nice to have a connection in Chicago. And Now that Jal'za Wyche is out my life it would be nice to know that the people I feel are truly good friends would stay in my life. Because while friends can be disposable a best friend never should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment