19 May 2008

Today at Home Depot

It was an interesting day at work, aside from the sky having trouble making up its mind as to whether it wanted to send rain or sun shine. I was stuck the entire day in the garden center, the one area that stays busy enough to make me like my job. Mind you I was more than happy to go work for Home Depot but every time I am forced to work on an indoor register I can’t help but want to throw my hands in the air and exclaim “I Quite, this place is to boring!”

I think the first issue I had was I had to work side by side with the world worst talker. This woman doesn’t talk she rambles. And when she is not rambling, she is butting in where she is not needed. Now we both started the same time and I except the fact that we know a fair decent amount but she irks my nerves. I can be helping a customer and she will but in only to repeat what I am saying or to show that she is listening. I hate that as a customer and I hate that as someone providing a service. I don’t dislike her she just has this bad habit of talking when she should just shut up.

After the annoyance was gone, I was alone in the garden center. It had slowed down a decent amount but not to the point, I was bored. I had a lot of price inquires, finding missing or correct SKUs, and ringing up items that I never get to really see, you know the big stuff that people pick up after they pay for.

But finally, I had the customer of the day, the one that put me on my toes. She was drunk and bought 36 plants, all the same type and color. I was nervous because she was clearly intoxicated to the point she could not stand straight up. She weebled and wobbled yet didn’t fall down. She told me her father had dropped dead last Thursday; she also told me she had some odd number of acres of land. I gave her my apologies for her loss and she hugged me. She said it has become uncommon for people to say that anymore. She then decided to pay debit and mentioned it was because she didn’t trust credit cards and daddy taught her well,

She was so intoxicated that I made her finish it out as a credit transaction; she had a visa check card. I then figured out she was one of this wealthy women. She told me she had some obscene amount of money in her checking account and she didn’t care how she paid along as it came out of there.

She hugged me again and told me how drunk she was and that she thought she smashed part of her car on the way to Home Depot. But she didn’t care. I let her go and I was worried, I was not trained on how to handle an intoxicated customer. She clearly couldn’t drive and she knowing she was drunk asked for loading assistance. So I figured is anyone would know how to handle it, it would be one of the lot techs who have been there longer than I have.

A little while later one of my crushes came by and mentioned about the drunken lady, as soon as he loaded her car and she pulled off, she smashed into a Cadillac pulled away and went on about her business.

He also informed me that she tried to make out with him. He was cute about it. Calling her a MILF and saying she wasn’t his type. Stupid me not keeping track failed to realize it was a perfect opportunity to ask, “Then what is your type?” But I missed an opportunity. I just need him to tell me he is straight so I can cross him off my list officially.
For now, I am just waiting to see if I was wrong for ringing her up and not taking any other action. As of now, I received word she was caught. But I won’t think about that now, I’ll think about it tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment