14 July 2013

The Darkest Chapter of My Life Part 3 “On The Inside.”

My first night I was nervous but I found people I could get along with. The next day I wanted to sleep late but I had to get blood drawn. I went back to bed only to be awakened by a loud woman telling my roommate and me it was time for breakfast. I grabbed want looked to be the fixings for a “Make your own” breakfast sandwich. I was not given any meat because it was pork and I have an allergy. It was so damn bad that I wanted to hurl. But there was yogurt and fruit.

As I munched on my apple, which would be my main source of sustenance, an odd woman came up and said she could not see me. Now this is time for a back story.  The night of my arrival and once semi-settled I had to ask the nurses’ station a question, I was directed there for some odd reason, it could have been for that MRI or EKG. All I remember is that it was a test it and it had letters and I was told to ask for it. A man walked out of the station and I said excuse me, he looked my way then went back in. I looked to the man next to me and asked, “Can you see me?” he replied, “Oh Yeah I can see you.” He was visiting a patient who would turn out to be the funniest story I have had the pleasure of hearing.  Later when I went to watch TV in the activities room the guy who I shall call Mike made a joke about wind coming in but not seeing the source. He then explained to me and everyone present that it was his father who I asked about my sudden invisibility.

So back to breakfast, this was about the third time I heard the joke and all I could do was smile and rush through the apple. Each time she would see me it was followed up with, “That’s just to funny.” She was quick to recognize my cool awesomeness, I assumed she was not all gone or all bad but I was going to get to know this person a lot better than I maybe would like to.  I began going to groups and but when the co-occurring recovery groups were taking place I had nothing to do. So I found a book at the nurses’ station and my roommate gave me a book. Both thick, both written for adults who ENJOY reading.  I tried to read but soon found that I wanted to sit and try to write. I sat for about an hour on Wednesday just getting to know my roommate and that’s when the question was asked, “So why are you here?” without hesitation I retorted, “Attempted Suicide.” We went back and forth until he got the whole story and I used gender neutrals when referring to my ex and he soon got the picture. He was still shocked that I would even think about it.

Many people asked the question of what lead to my 302 and they all gave the shocked look to my answer. I was determined to make the best of this situation. I hated depression and I did not want to deal with it any more. If I could not kill myself then I had to take advantage of government programs that make it so that such people as me would not want to do what I had planned.

I smiled at everyone and talked to all the nurses and staff and my case worker was the best. She found it easy to relate to me and listened. I found her to be the easiest person to talk to. She really seemed like she wanted to understand ME not the why’s or how’s but how I felt and what I thought and how she could help me, unlike my doctors on the other hand.

So there was my Therapist and there was my psychologist. My psychologist refused to make eye contact and spoke softly, this was such a shock to me that after he gave his sepal about who he was and blab bla bla I blurted out, “What?”  To prevent myself from laughing. He however was a good looking man, his demeanor was just a turnoff, so I could see why there was no ring. After maybe five minutes if not less I was sent on my way. I did not get much done in the way of groups on Wednesday because every time I got into something I was called into another short meeting where they either picked my brain, got a statement about why I was there or to poke me for some other physical reason.  One guy (a nurse practitioner) gave me a physical and asked if I had enough at breakfast, I wanted to say, “As much as I could stand,” but I simply said plenty. He then said it sounded like I didn’t eat enough, and he was right.

My therapist, I like to refer to as the Happy Lumberjack. He wore plaid, a tie and jeans, and it was all well-coordinated, eh hmm. He had a soft and pleasant speaking voice and all I could do to keep from laughing was smile and node. He would open with, “How are you feeling today?  What do you want to talk about, what would YOU like to discuss. “He was so fucking cute with his Mister Rogers voice I had to think about weather I wanted to huge him or deck him.

In my first meeting we discussed MeTo. I was devastated when I checked my voice mail and did not hear from him. I was so hurt I was doing everything in my power not to think or talk about it. I could not understand how you can tell someone you love them more than anything and that they will have your heart forever and when they tell you they are going to kill themselves you do nothing. I let it all go on my lumber jack therapist. He helped me to realize that surprising how I feel towards someone is not good. It is ok to want to punch someone in the face and relish in the thought. You have to keep it in thought, accept how you feel, deal with it in thought and then move one. I felt so much better that, that night I dreamt about kicking MeTo’s ass, I relished in the dream, woke up and let it go.

Night time was the worse; there was nothing to do so I took a shower. My Mother could not get clothes to me until Thursday and my sister was going to bring them. I checked my voice mail and still nothing from MeTo or my so called “Best” friends. Bombshell had called me and was clearly worried so I got her number from my mother and left her a voicemail telling her I was ok and getting help. I also got the number for a friend of mine from jersey, only to find out that you could not make out of state calls, so I could not reach out to MeTo even if I wanted to.

I woke up Thursday in full swing of things I had set a reputation and found out who the cool kids were; I survived high school once I could do it again. There were your cliques, there were the cool kids, suicides and drug over doses, the cheerleaders – attempted suicides who thought ALL people are fucked up so they try to be friends with everyone, the want to be cool kids – people with more than one issue but are in such denial they are hard to help, the loners the anger issues  and really mentally damaged, and the staff. I was always a cool kid and it was not long before the cool kids started talking to me and about me in positive ways.

There was mike, he was in because he mixed his medications up and started seeing aliens. Dirk my roommate who OD’d on heroin by accident. Troy who simply pissed off the wrong people with the right connections and Samantha a heavyset girl who was in for an OD but was so funny and strong you ONLY wanted to be her friend or you simply hopped she didn’t notice you. I kind of stunk with them most of Thursday until I met Anastasia. She was quiet and I went to sit next to her and we started talking and formed our own little twosome until later that day I met Stacy. She was only an inch shorter than me. I had noticed her before but she was quiet and had a distant look on her face. But she opened up to us and just like in high school I had my own little clique. We talked and giggled at the fact that while most people were way older than us everything you need to survive in a place like this you learned in high school. We all went to the same groups together; watched TV together and eventually started taking smoke breaks together.  ALL the original cool kids were discharged on Friday and so it was my group and the cheerleaders.


The night before the woman who kept the invisibility joke going pushed me to the limit and I had to curse her out. She stopped talking to me for two days; ah I wish it had lasted longer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment