10 December 2012

Fried Green Tomatoes


There have been a good number of men who have shown an interest lately. I want to say it is all because of the change in season, with summer gone men are looking for someone who is going to be there to tend to their emotional needs via cuddling and going on real dates. But a part of me likes to think it is because I finally created a profile that makes guys curious as to whom I am.

This all proved true on my most recent date with Jack. Jack and I have been sending text back and forth for a few weeks and due to my work schedule it was hard for us to meet but I finally lost my job and had time to spare. So he offered to take me to dinner and I could not help but say yes. He had sent me a pic and he was quite the good looking older Afro-American man.

He came and picked me up after school and we went to a place called Devils Alley. It was the perfect spot for a first date. It was casual with a mixed crowd. Our waitress was everything one could ask for in a waitress and the menu offered lots of options but one thing caught my eye, fried green tomatoes.

I was always fearful of trying a friend green tomato. I saw the movie several times and the idea of eating a cooked tomato just seemed odd as I hated eggplant. I wondered if the texture was going to be the same but the waitress assured me that it was delicious and one of her favorite things on the menu. We placed our order and the conversation commenced.

We talked about everything from work to school, my most recent job loss, and of course me. He made it quite clear he liked what he saw and was enjoying the conversation. I did my best to convey the same without actually throwing myself at him. At one point in the conversation I noticed I almost started talking about MeTo because of the topic and then I thought about something MeTo once said to me. MeTo had told me how he would go on dates and wish it were me. I took a brief moment to think about MeTo and noticed there was no comparison. MeTo, Mr. M, and this guy, all different and each brought something different to the table. 

Jack was extremely charming and flirtatious and it made me feel special, something another guy had not done in quite some time. Typically when I date a black guy the focus is always on sex and I am normally far from attracted because they lack one or more of my major three. It is all about them telling me I am hot so they can sleep with me. This guy relished talking to me and the night was about enjoying each other’s time and company.

My entree was not what I expected but due to the fact I was not feeling to well and having drank too much ginger ale I was full.  When the night was over he drove me home and the flirting continued. When I was leaving the car he expressed that he was unsure if he should kiss me because of my neighbors. I leaned in and kissed him, a nice thank you for dinner kiss.  I noticed he did not pull off till I was in the house, another oddity, most guys pull away the moment I get out the car.

Once in the house I noticed he reminded me of two other men I knew. He reminded me of an extroverted version of my late uncle Darryl, he exuded cool. And the other guy he reminded me of was my current fuck buddy, the way conversing was easy and the fact that he was clearly a well off man of color the only difference from him and my fuck buddy, Jack is single. 

No comments:

Post a Comment