14 April 2011

Too Tired, Almost Crazy.

To many times in our young adult lives we realize that 24 hour days are just too short. With work, school, family, significant others, friends, maintaining our home, and trying to remember to eat healthy we are lucky if we have a little free time to watch TV, go to the gym, or just stop and think. The moment you add moving and finding a new job to the mix we are left asking, “What’s the point?”

Life is a crazy thing, there are times we have way too much to do and others where we are so bored that we think about doing things we said we would never do just to find a few seconds of entertainment.  Why is that?

Just last Friday I ended up going out to Deko with my buddy because the alternative was eating bad ice-cream and watching TV until I fell asleep. OK that is not totally true. I had homework and lots of house work but my brain and body needed a major break from the status quo. So those were the options I gave myself.

One of the keys to a happy life, that we are all well aware of, is to not let work (Job, school, house work) get to the point that it is all we do. We know this but how often do we throw it by the way side allowing our days to be consumed by running here and there without a moment to stop and do something that makes us smile and say, “That was fun.”

Is there any advice I can give to help alleviate this? I don't know, my life has gotten so hectic that to sit and watch shows that I have recorded is now more of a chore than a moment of entertainment and I think that maybe it is time for a vacation. What makes it even worse is the fact that I cannot take a vacation due to school and the fact I cannot afford to take time off from work.

When you throw in a father in-law, whom I absolutely love, in the hospital and family and friends who live all over that miss me, time not spent taking care of home and homework is now spent visiting the people that matter. Sure I could just say screw it all, I am running away for a few days and will deal with the consequences when I get back, but then what. I will come back to a world where I have more work than when I left and is full of people whom I let down and feel as though I cannot be depended upon.

So what can one do? Deal with it. We learn to be a survivor and lean on whatever faith we have to pull us through until the moment to take a real break comes by, and when we see the opportunity for a break, take it. Take it and enjoy every half second of it. One will also find pleasures in the little things such as taking a shower or bath in a freshly cleaned bathroom, or the feeling of getting into a bed with brand new sheets, or sitting down to eat a meal that we know is not only tasty but healthy.  Life will offer you tiny moments to get you through the craziness until your major break comes, you just have to recognize them and take them for what they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment