06 October 2009

Growing UP

This past weekend I went to upstate NY with MeTo and his parents. It was a very relaxing weekend. MeTo and I had been dealing with our own issues and they were getting the best of us. We had fun and I did manage to get some writing other than my blogs done.

Saturday night we all decided to have a bond fire. While sitting around the fire we were joking and talking about all kinds of things, mainly the weather as it sounded like rain but there was a clear sky and no wind, yet it was still chilly.

When I went to put my feet closer to the fire I realized my footwear and a similar instance near a campfire and my boats. Over a year ago a friend of mine set fire to the front of my boats while I was talking to the person next to me. It was funny as it was only lighter fluid and not the actual boat that was on fire, pulse the fact that we were all drinking only made the situation funnier. I shared the story with the group and I then realized.

For quite awhile I had been hoping to relive the crazy days or before when there were crazy nights with no agenda but loads of fun, drinking and hilarious incidents that we would talk about for months to come.

In an instant it all hit me. I saw how things had not changed instantly but gradually over the past two years. I saw and realized that we were not deciding to change but we were growing up. The whole group has gotten more mature, some are finished college and working, some have serious girlfriends, some have decided they might be gay, and some have even been to prison. Our lives consist of more than just trying to get drunk. I know that we will eventually have a night or two when we party all night but it will never be the same. When you grow up you and your friends change if you make it past the just party stage then you will enjoy watching how you all change and grow.

I now have what some of my friends call a home life. I have an extremely serious boyfriend and a life that is intertwined with his. I am happy and cant help but brag about how great a person he is. I even find myself constantly on the lookout to get my friends connected. I watch as all these people that I used to party with are getting the grown up lives that we all knew one day would come and I am happy for them. While I do miss the old times and how we used to hang frequently, it does make the few times we get together now and reminisce while making new memories all the greater.


No comments:

Post a Comment